Friday 5 June 2009

Kazakhstan

After more than 6,000 miles of blatently ignoring speed limits I got pulled over today for doing 69kph in a 50 zone. The Kazakh policeman's opening offer was a 50 dollar fine, which I politely refused. It then came down to about 30, but after watching the locals who were also being stopped it became clear that all was required was 2 pound bribe. The bribe duely handed over and I was on my way again. I think its an example the British police would do well to follow.

Later that day and I was stopped again. This time for a failed headlight bulb. You have to have your lights on all the time in Kazakhstan and I didn't realise mine wasn't working. Here we go again, I thought, another 2 pound bribe. But this time they obviously thought it wasn't worth wasting their time trying to get money out of me and sent me on my way.

I replaced the bulb in the evening but it turned out that wasn't the only problem - still no headlights. Six thousand miles and my first problem with the bike. So there was nothing else for it but to take the switch and connectors apart, douse them in WD40 and put it back together again. Result - working headlight. It just adds to my belief that all you need to fix a bike is WD40, duck tape and cable ties.